With the creation of these gardens in Via Martin Piaggio, Coeclerici has paid a tribute to the city of Genoa, as well as honouring the memory of Jack Clerici, a local businessman who loved the city and played a major role in its development in the maritime and commercial sector.
Facing the building that hosts the long-established headquarters of Coeclerici, the area planted covers some 800 square metres, and has been designed in accordance with the garden tradition in Genoa and in the Liguria region.
Around 1100 bushes of 56 different species have been planted, with shrubs of different sizes and characteristics, both deciduous and perennial, as well as groundcover plants for underneath them, with species that bloom at different times of the year and with colourful flowers, so as to obtain lush, green gardens with fragrant flowers in bloom in every season, both day and night.
In this authentic little botanic garden, each plant will be labelled to inform and educate visitors.
Of fundamental importance is the contribution the project seeks to make to protecting the environment, with known “smog-eating” species planted for their ability to intercept heavy metals and to play a significant role in reducing CO2 emissions.
The official opening ceremony was attended by Marco Bucci, Mayor of Genoa, Enrico Pignone, Councillor of the Metropolitan City of Genoa, Ugo Salerno, Chairman and CEO of Rina, Paolo Clerici, Chairman and CEO of Coeclerici, and Monsignor Luigi Molinari.
The event was also attended by classes from the Maddalena Bertani School District and the Grazia Deledda International Languages High School, which will enjoy a new area in which to socialise, as a result of the redevelopment of historic gardens in the heart of the city.